Fasting

Day 24 2 Samuel 21:14 - 1 Kings 7:12


The second week of the Lent course, “introducing spiritual practices” being followed by a couple of churches in the circuit brings to the fore the practice of fasting. The course notes begin, “In a consumer society, we don’t like to think of going without something or giving things up: it just seems wrong! And yet ‘fasting’ has always been a practice that Christians have seen as vital to spiritual health.


There are many reasons why the people of God in Scripture turn to fasting, but three stand out. The physical hunger of fasting expressed the deep longings of their hearts:

 • In tough times: when surrounded by fearful circumstances; when mourning the loss of friends; when facing bleak circumstances; when strength fails.

 • In times of failure: for forgiveness in times of unfaithfulness; for when we have forgotten the Lord; and for strength to choose the right path.

 • In seeking spiritual breakthrough: for revelation and guidance; for victory over enemies; for healing the sick; for a faith that overcomes; for the anointing of the Spirit.

I hadn't planned to enter a season of fasting while here in Sri Lanka, and truthfully, nor have I, though the frequency of missed meals has made my stomach believe something was happening in the food department.


In our daily worship today Father Stephen reminded us of the command to fast, giving biblical references as focal points.

So, while I may not have fasted in that I have not picked a specific meal or meals to ‘fast' I realise that actually I have, I think taken upon me the essence of the fast these last 24 days or so, in that I have missed several meals, I have laid aside my physical needs in order to seek God and God’s help.

I have laid aside the ‘normal’ trappings of western daily life, there is no television or radio here, I have limited access to the internet and intermittent mobile signal. There have been days without water and again as I write we have no electricity. My physical needs have been met though conditions are basic here.
Lounge 
My time of reflection continues, though there is no doubt, I have sought God, as times have been tough, times have felt strangely bleak and yes strength has failed. I have sought God’s forgiveness for my unfaithfulness; for when I have forgotten the Lord and all his mercies; and I seek strength to choose the right path, for revelation and guidance; for a faith that overcomes; for the anointing of the Spirit.


Today marks the end of my time at the Theological College of Lanka, tomorrow (Tuesday 19th) I will take the train to Colombo where I will play the tourist part, spend a night in white linen sheets, enjoy an evening meal before taking the evening flight on Wednesday.

This has been a wonderfully spiritual experience that will take time to unpack, for now I invite your prayers for the college and students, faculty staff and those who serve here in so many ways, and for myself a safe journey home and for the Steph, Nicholas and Rebekah.

Comments