Fenwick to Holy Island (Saturday 27th April)

Distance 10km 6 mils or so.


The final route today, from Fenwick I cross the A1 with the destination in my grasp, taking in historic paths and tracks, passing Fenwick Granary, (derelict)



 I cross the main east coast railway line and Beal Cast Burn.



Pausing at the crossing I make the obligatory call to the signal box to check that it is safe to cross.

Confirming that it is safe to do so, I cross the line and traverse the fields opposite





towards and past World War 2 coastal defences
 to reach the causeway.






Here I have a choice, do I follow the road, or take my shoes and socks off and walk the Pilgrim Route across the sand?
Is it really a question at all?



Socks buried deep in the toe of my shoe, laces tied and held firmly in my hand I set off across the sand following a line of skinny posts in to the distance.




Of course I have set of fairly soon after the waters had receded from the Causeway, possibly the first on foot, the sand was wet towards the end of the crossing and I needed to detour slightly round the water wading knee deep as the final tide ebbed away.

I dried my feet replaced my shoes and strolled purposefully into the Village towards the Priory, 
my final destination.



Comments