Wooler to Fenwick (Friday 26th April)

Distance 19km 12miles.
Having taken Thursday as a rest day I set off for Fenwick.

Wooler URC church



From Wooler the walk takes me over Weetwood Moor, where I detour to some prehistoric rock carvings before dropping back down to cross the River Till via the 16th Century Weetwood Bridge.


  Quiet lanes lead to Horton and onto another section typically the straight Roman road, the Devil's Causway, which once linked Corbridhe to Tweedmouth.



Farmland and woodland tracks lead up to St Cuthbert's Cave, where monks took St Cuthbert's body in 875AD as they fled from Viking raids on Lindisfarne.

Arriving here around 1pm I paused for lunch and reflected on the journey so far, and the historic belief that this was the place St Cuthbert also paused. A place of refuge, safety and shelter.
 

Repleat, and with considerably less discomfort than any time till today, I pick up the route and take the gentle sloping fields towards Fenwick. 




Above the cave on the rocky ridge of Kyloe Hills the first tantilising views of Lindisfarne, clearly visible above the glittering sands, and Bamburgh Castle just to the south.



Following an enjoyable track through Shiellow Wood towards the village of Fenwick.

Day 4 a gentle stroll, maybe I'm getting fitter haha, there it is! This day walk finished around 3pm after a wobbly start that took me off route. Deciding not to return to Wooler, I rerouted across country to pick up the road to East Horton.

Comments